Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Shifts in Thinking

Before you can change your external worldview, you have to change your thinking. So many people have an either/or mentality rather than a both/and. I noticed this way back in 1990 when I attended a workshop, lead by Harrison Owen, entitled "Creativity and Business." Most of the people there were either from business or were from the arts. I was one of the only people who had experienced both. As a dancer and as a business person, I did not see any conflict. Most people had trouble embracing the two. They still do and yet the Chinese have always embraced the yin and yang. This both/and thinking is very ancient but in the West we have compartmentalized everything. I think this has come in part from our illusion that we can control things. It is a very mechanistic point of view. It is very provincial and unworldly. I feel so grateful my parents were total opposites in that I saw many possibilities from birth which I incorporated into my worldview from an early age.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric Case said...

Hi Nancy - Ann pointed me to your blog, looks like you're doing a fantastic job!

This is an excellent post - it's why I try and go traveling somewhere different each year, to keep a fresh perspective on things.

Keep up the great blogging!
-E

October 30, 2004 at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home